22/05/2019

thoughts on the morning of May 22nd 2019


It's interesting to see how the performative nature has changed since the first time: it has unfolded into a ritual, a participatory event. No longer are there 2 performers exploring*, but, perhaps, a community created for those 6 hours. And the song, with nothing new added since 2012*, has embedded into the sound of the space.
Then thinking of the different ways of moving for me - the phrase of movement and the following my body: the phrase is performative, it is like a spoken prayer, a song sung. Although it is set it changes and different parts become emphasised, year by year or hour by hour.

Lou’s* last live vocals were in 2012 as she was unable to be there in 2013 as she had recently given birth. And 2014 was her last UHH: she was unable to sing, but her listening and presence were as strong as ever. She spent the last hour or so downstairs with me. At the end we knew we’d done it – we’ve achieved the thing we sought. By then people were coming to meditate or pray, to just be in the space, not to watch.

In 2015 I invited people who used movement as prayer or contemplation to move in the space. Regardless of whether they respond to me in any way, it supports me and has enabled me to continue. I noticed that many of those who were there in stillness had bare feet and were lying down! In 2015 I found myself moving with two people, and last year there was playful interaction with one of those movers – at a moment that I could have crumpled, a moment where I wondered if I could move at all.

After 2 years of UHH Lou and I agreed on a name for what we were doing: an act of devotion.












when we were two

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful piece of writing, thanks. And especially "live" after just rushing home to get mum her tea! Thank you so much for the courage (maybe, would be for me) to continue with this lovely piece of work. Love to you, Maura. I think we need to meet up! Mandy x

    ReplyDelete